vacation

I’m on vacation. Just being able to write those words should somehow elicit some overwhelming feelings of joy shouldn’t it? Vacation….I’ll write it again and see if it sinks in. I had always expected more. I’m having a “Princess Bride” moment right now. You know the line. “Vizini, you use that word a lot, I do not think it means what you think it means…” That’s how I’m feeing about vacation.
It used to be that I had high hopes for what one might actually be like. That was, of course, back in the day before I could afford to really take a true vacation. You know the type, airlines, rental cars, eating out, blah, blah, blah. Now that I’m older and more capable of taking said vacation, not to mention that I’m older and really need said vacation, I have found that it is all illusion.
A friend asked me, “where would you go on vacation if you could go anywhere?” That’s a nice thought. I really didn’t have an answer for that. Every place I could think of involved airlines and rentals and eating out and the like. From experience, I know that these ingredients do not combine well to form a “vacation”. The only thing it’s a vacation from is reason.
The first indication that all is not what I would have expected is the fact that I’m sitting at home, drinking my own coffee while I write this because we can’t be late for THE AIRPORT. Actually we would be fine except my wife needs to squeeze in a stop at the chiropractor to help her survive the flight to the east coast. She really needs a vacation.
We’re headed back to Syracuse for this years version of a vacation. Actually it’s kind of a last fling as a whole family opportunity. It will be the first time in 6 years that we’re all back together and now we’ll have my daughter in law in tow for her inaugural visit to the “holy land” of childhood memories.
We’re going back to relive some memories and share some experiences with her so that she can understand a little more about who we are and where we came from. Whatever… Anyway, I hope that these experiences really existed somewhere besides the Norman Rockwell lobe of our brains. I’m desperately wanting some relaxation and normalcy. It’s not starting out well, the airline has already changed the seats on our flight and left us with an ominous “seats will be assigned at check in” message on my email. In other words, “We’ve severely overbooked your flight and you could in fact loose the seats that you purchase in January to some “Johnny (or Jenny) come lately” who bought the same seats yesterday”. I can’t wait.
Anyway, it starts today. I’m trying to stay positive even while my flight reminder boasts to me that my particular flights having a stellar 50 and 60 percent on time rating. Why would you post that? I’m trying to relax. I’m sure that I’ll enjoy most of it along the way, as soon as I get away from the airlines and rental car agencies. This may be more than a bit cynical this morning. Cut me some slack. I need a vacation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost writing

foreground

blame