Just saying "thank you"

Although I have a few to choose from, it seems like my new home away from home has been found.  Café Torino, in the heart of my new neighborhood, has quickly become my "go to" spot for some strategic work moments, as well as those moments which have nothing to do with anything besides sitting in an Italian coffee shop contemplating their offering of classes in Italian.  I'm as grateful for the provision of this place as I am for their skill in caramel latte's.  From here I can literally look upon our new residence and, this afternoon, I can look upon the latest gift provided once again by God's grace and the generosity of amazing people who choose to follow his lead.  Parked outside the window is our exit strategy from the world of Zip Car.  In other words we, after more than 18 months spent in our mass transportation odyssey, are back to the world of car ownership.  Not only is it a wonderful vehicle, the best part of it is that we didn't have to go through the usual car buying routine.  In fact we didn't have to buy it at all.  It is a gift from a friend of our mission here in South Lake Union.  Grateful doesn't seem to cover how we feel right at this moment.  It doesn't really cover the entirety of what has transpired over the past 10 days.  It seems, as I look back, that gratitude can apply to joy and blessing, but it also is possible to see it in the midst of pain and trauma.  In fact if it wasn't for the latter, I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have been experiencing the former. 
Sometimes I need to be hit on the head, literally it would seem, to take in all that God has in store for us.  A little more than a week ago, after a cheap shot by an industrial dumpster, I ended up in the ER with a head injury.  It could have been, actually should have been, much more serious than it was.  In the end I came home with staples in my head and a new example of what happens when one is an idiot.  A few days later, the well meant and well timed question from a member of our group "hey would you guys like a car?" was put in front of me.  In normal circumstances I'm pretty sure that the acceptance of a gift of that magnitude would have been nearly impossible for us.  However, the memory of the panic over how one would get to an ER, while bleeding profusely from the head, without personal transportation was still fresh in our minds.  Zip Car came through for us in that instance, but then the added concern for bleeding in a car not our own still lingered long after.  That scenario had never occurred to me, nor had the scenario my wife possibly having to transport me to a hospital at night in an emergency situation.  Those all factored in, and without even knowing what the vehicle was, we humbly accepted the gift eagerly offered.  Another dear friend encouraged us to just say "thank you".  So we did. I'm not going to elaborate here on the vehicle, save to say that it's not your average used car and it only adds to our amazement at how God works in the hearts of people who understand that their stuff is merely God's stuff entrusted to them to be put to best use.  Grateful doesn't nearly cover it.
The lesson here, in my humble opinion is simply this.  Say "thank you" and accept what comes your way.  Don't be resistant. Experience gratitude.  If it becomes too difficult a task for you, just pay it forward.  Don't be the one needing to be knocked upside the head.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost writing

foreground

blame