Thoughts on Mondays

So it's Monday, and as easy as it might be to stand here as if in a hole looking up at at some insurmountable summit, I'd like to see this day instead as the beginning of a new journey.  Even as these words appear on my screen, I cannot believe that they have originated from my fingers ... Or better yet, from my mind to my fingers.  I've been programmed to curse Monday ... to see it as an interruption in the recreational pursuits of a weekend ... or the abrupt return to reality.  We act as if we ourselves were the recipients of the first walking papers that ushered Adam and Eve out of paradise and into the world of toil and unreasonable bosses.  We put our heads down and trudge up Sisyphus' hill ... knowing it's only a matter of time before the rock we are pushing flattens us.  
So I ask myself, probably because no one else cares to wonder about such things, where did this all originate? Who was the first to climb out of a warm comfy bed and mutter "ugh, Monday"?  Once upon a time, Sunday was regarded as the first day of the week.  It was so long ago that many of us have no memory of this, and I'm pretty sure that they're not teaching it in schools.  There was generally no working and though not currently en vogue, people of my faith tended to gather and worship.  
Quite possibly that's where it all began to change ... when Monday became Sunday I mean.  Before the change, Sunday's were rather uneventful.  In fact, it's my understanding,from ancient writings, that events were frowned upon.  An event could be construed as "work" which was not ok on a Sunday.  So people looked forward to get into Monday because something eventful could possibly happen I suppose ... even if that event was a conflict with an idiot boss.  Now our weekends have nothing built in to encourage us back into the adventure that a new week can hold.  Weekends are two day events with only a huge drop off at the end and then a let down.  Instead of looking at the week as a journey to take, or an adventure to live, we look at it as an obstacle to get through until the next 2 day event.  
I would like to begin this Monday with the intent to change that, beginning with my own journey.  As much as I wonder about where this view of Monday's originated, I wonder even more how people of my faith persuasion have allowed themselves to be dragged into it... how I've allowed myself to be pulled in.  I mean really, we should be the optimists and those who plunge head long into a new week will a wild wave and a call of "follow me".  Hopefully we just took advantage of the opportunity presented to us to gather and celebrate the promise of hope, the reality of grace, and the potential of a "do over".  Hopefully, upon being reminded of said promises, you became anxious and eager to live these and share these.  I know statistically, especially here in the enlightened Northwest this may seem a bit too optimistic.  Those of you who know me would not be surprised to hear that optimism is not always my first response ... Ok hardly ever, but I'm determined to change that.  I live in arguably the most apathetic place in the country to such promises.  People here are more likely to place their faith in the drudgery of Monday than the hope and adventure of Sunday.  For some unknown reason, this is where we've been called.  I'll confess to a great deal of  traditional "Monday" attitude, quite possibly even more than you'd find on the calendar, during this 2 years and counting journey.  Most of them I've  stumbled into, not even looking to get to the weekend.  I've felt challenged, I've felt punished, I've felt rolled over by the rock.  I should have felt honored.  A new week awaits and I should feel honored that we've been chosen for this journey.  Today, on a real Monday, I choose to stand in that place.  The journey of this week begins today and I have no idea where it will lead.  I hope you choose the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost writing

foreground

blame