magic

I’ve chosen a different view this morning. I have surrendered the beach for the magical world of Christmas that has unfolded in my living room this past weekend. It really is quite a transformation. You’d really have to see it to appreciate it though. I’ve chosen an amazingly comfortable spot on my couch with a prime view of the fireplace, and a tree shining like a jewel. I’m guarded this morning by a large assortment of snowmen, angels, my Santa collection, the holy family, and our loyal and lazy cat who has shared this view for the past 15 years. She loves this season almost as much as we do and demonstrates it by curling up under the tree even before its decorated. She’ll hibernate there until we can lure her out with her annual bag of kitty narcotics. Eventually she’ll end up back there, quite stoned from the experience.
I choose this spot today partly because I have two other appointments with Starbucks today and I wouldn’t want to be a candidate for intervention. I have a weakness for Gingerbread lattes this time of year. The other reason though is that it just seems right. I’ll spend an unusually large amount of time here this next 5 weeks. There is no television here. I have to serve myself at this hour of the day. There is certainly no community here, unless you count the extraordinary amount of inanimate characters that are all staring at me. There is magic though. My wife has a gift of creating it. My job is mostly to haul it back and forth from its place of seasonal storage. When she was all done with the transformation this past Friday…yes it was the day after Thanksgiving, all I wanted to do was to sit right here in the middle of it. I tend to sit back and simply observe more often than not, but for the next few weeks I’ll be leaning closer in to savor every moment. So Starbucks can wait.
I know that I’m not the only one who can feel the magic. The little cuties in my community o’ faith were even cuter yesterday. People stayed long after our scheduled time together was over. It is in the air. We’re surrounded by magic this season. And, as G.K. Chesterton wrote, “if there is magic, there must be a magician”. My wife can serve as a wonderful instrument of creativity and love, and a conduit of seasonal magic, but she’ll tell you that it’s because of the Magician Himself. I wish more people could share the experience that my cat and I are sharing this morning.
I am not naïve. I know full well that too many are not feeling it today. It’s bitterly cold outside, which may add to my experience, but it creates quite another for people living on the streets. This time of year may elevate my own personal level of community, but I’m well aware that it magnifies the loneliness of others. People feel compelled to lavish gifts to fill the void, but come away from the season with empty souls and depleted VISA’s. I wish that they could feel it and I wish that those who are like me could be better at sharing it. To those who have taken the time to read this, my wish for you as this season begins is simply this; If anything within you can relate to any part of the magic of this time of year, please consider carefully that, “if there is magic, there must be a magician”.
You might need to a bit lean closer to see it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ghost writing

foreground

blame